Friday, April 15, 2011

Invisible

As a black male in America, it is easy to feel that I am invisible at times. Sometimes the evidence of strangers' thoughts can be obvious and at other times, not quite so easy to detect. Stereotypes of black men cause people to think things about me that aren't necessarily true, especially before they even know me. Of course, there is no way for everyone to get to know me, but it would be nice if people wouldn't pass judgment without any kind of evidence except appearance. It is important that people recognize the personality and potential of each and every person they meet. Even if one has a bad experience with one person from a certain race, there is no reason to assume that the next person that one meets from that race will have the same behavior. We are all individuals with widely different views, goals, and aspirations. Personally, I have chosen to focus intently on the academic part of my life. Sure, I have participated in several different activities throughout my life, but I have felt for a long time that taking my education seriously would take me where I want to go. When I see people in stores or just walking down the sidewalk, I feel that they are thinking about the stereotype that black men don't care about education and would rather be on the streets, instead of just seeing me as a young man that is in school and moving forward in his life. I realize that everybody that seems like they are thinking something may not be, but I'm quite certain that I have been a victim of certain stereotypes.

No comments:

Post a Comment