Friday, January 21, 2011

Good Food Review

Last night, my Mother made the best fajitas that I've ever had. Obviously, this was not food that came from a restaurant, but it was very good food. The key to these successfuk fajitas was Rick Bayless' seasoning marinades. We had used them before for just seasoning chicken, steak, or seafood, but we had never tried the fajita mix. The packet takes care of the flavor for the fajitas, but the chef has to add all of the other components. These include poblano, red, and green peppers, all of which are mixed into the meat and the marinating sauce. Of course, this is not where it stops. You can't just take that mixture and wrap it in tortillas and call it dinner. Whenever we have tacos or fajitas, we have to have the real deal. This means guacamole (homemade if I have time), pico de gallo, chihuahua cheese, fresh limes, fresh cilantro, and sour cream. I wouldn't have it any other way. All of these things have unique flavors and, along with the delicious tortills, combine to make an amazing taste. I've been searching for the perfect tortilla for a long time now and I finally found it at Hyde Park Produce. They have a great taste and don't require that you double them up. Overall, Hispanic foods are amongst my favorite food because of the how the textures and flavors of all the different ingredients mesh together. Although I enjoy making foods and seasoning those foods myself, Rick Bayless has created a great product with the seasoning packets. They make for quick Mexican dishes and turn tacos and fajitas into something closer to what you would get from a Bayless restaurant, as opposed to Taco Bell.

No comments:

Post a Comment